Call for Op-Ed Writing Workshop Facilitators
Part-time, contract (4 positions available)
We have an opportunity for journalism scholars & freelance journalists to facilitate Centre for Media and Celebrity Studies (CMCS) 4-hr media writing workshops. The workshops will include sessions on how to write op-eds as well as columns and personal essays at the following locations:
New York City
Facilitators will have the flexibility to design the workshop and handouts in creative ways. During the workshop, facilitators will provide: hands-on guidance on writing structures, examples, opportunities to write drafts, and one-on-one feedback.
- Offer guidance on writing structures and encourage participants to write 1-page drafts.
- Provide basic edits and feedback on a range of topics that need media attention.
- Create mentoring relationships with participants who will include academics, emerging fiction and non-fiction writers, grassroots organizers and entrepreneurs.
- Coach thought leaders in ways so that they can share knowledge and frame ideas of public value.
- Offer basic directions on how to pitch op-eds, columns, and personal essays to media.
- The successful candidate will be educated to degree level at university.
- 1-3 years of proven track record in writing op-eds, columns, and personal essays.
- Demonstrated communication skills and experience in offering commentaries in the media.
- Excellent listening and analytic skills (able to rapidly contextualize, compare, and contrast).
- Willingness to learn, improve and share skills with authenticity.
- Ability to guide students and address questions with patience, attention, and compassion.
- Passion for teaching and journalism in both traditional and new media.
- Ability to create meaningful relationships with scholars, writers, editors, and activists.
To apply for this exciting and challenging role, please forward your CV and a short covering letter indicating the location of interest to Dr Samita Nandy at email@example.com.
For more info, see sponsoring organizations:
Centre for Media and Celebrity Studies (CMCS): www.cmc-centre.com
Centre for Ecological, Social, and Informatics Cognitive Research (ESI.CORE): www.esicore.org
WaterHill Publishing: www.waterhillpublishing.com
Application deadline: May 31, 2016